The Kulturcafé is more than just the go-to place for everyone who fancies a coffee or a snack. In the evenings, guests are entertained by music, readings and more.
Modern and Contemporary Art
... looks into questions such as ...
- Which scopes and methods does this subject entail?
- How can a work of art be described, analysed and classified within a cultural and historical context?
- In which way and to what effect is art used as a communication medium?
- How is art perceived and theorised?
- Which role does art play in society and which production and distribution requirements are there?
Modern and Contemporary Art, Master 1 subject
What's it all about?
This degree programme is unique, because ...
it offers the chance of deepening the expertise and competencies in the field of modern and contemporary art acquired in the B.A. course by choosing a specialist subject and receiving interdisciplinary input. Moreover, collaborating institutions provide workplace-related training, with the aim of conducing scientific research.
It provides the opportunity to specialise in the following fields
- Genesis and evolution of modern art since the late 18th century
- Painting, drawing, sculpture, architecture and applied arts, as well as new forms of visual culture such as
- photography, film, video, design, performance and new media
- Art theory and aesthetics
- Post-1960s art
- Professions in art history-related disciplines
Who is suited?
Those who wish to enrol in this degree programme,
basic understanding of general art history, the ability of communicating facts and interpretations orally and in writing
discussing art history in view of scientific and historical development and current discourses, communicating knowledge, developing individual research position
... struggle through:
specialised foreign-language (e.g. English, French, Italian, Dutch and Spanish) literature, preparing advanced-level written papers and oral presentations
This degree programme is suited for graduates in the following subjects
- Humanities & Cultural Science
Graduates from this degree programme frequently work
- at universities and in academia in general
- in museum and exhibition management and in the art trade
- in heritage protection and urban planning
- in media companies and the publishing industry
- in adult education and tourism
Where do I find help?
Academic advisory office
Building, Room: GA 2/53
Phone: +49 (0)234 / 32-24741
Culture for dessert
Skilled with the brush
The Musisches Zentrum is the port of call for all those who wish to explore their artistic talents: the fine arts segment offers, for example, graphic reproduction, nude drawing and nature studies courses.